Sharon’s Vegan Green Beans and Mushroom Casserole
- 1 3/4 lb green beans, trimmed
- 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 tsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 large shallots, thinly sliced (1/2 cup)
- 3/4 cup vegetable stock
- 2 tsp. cornstarch
- 8 oz. cremini mushrooms, trimmed and sliced 1/8 in. thick
- 1//2 cup soy yogurt
- sea salt and freshly ground pepper (to taste)
- Bring large pot of water to a boil. Blanch beans until tender, about 6 minutes. Drain. Meanwhile, heat 1 ½ teaspoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Cook shallots, stirring occasionally, until tender and just starting to brown, 3-4 minutes. Transfer shallots to a small bowl, and wipe skilled clean with a paper towel.
- Whisk together stock and cornstarch. Heat remaining tablespoon oil in skillet over high heat. Cook mushrooms, stirring occasionally, until golden brown, about 6 minutes. Reduce heat to low: add shallots. Whisk in stock mixture. Cook until thick, about 3 more minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in yogurt and ½ tablespoon salt, season with pepper. Toss in beans. Serve warm.
Leave a Reply